I’ve finally switched my feeds here over to feedburner. I like having the stats. I’m a stats junkie. I found a nifty WordPress Feedburner plugin that takes care of most of the dirty work for you, but of course anytime I do anything with this site, there were problems.
At first feedburner wouldn’t recognize any of the changes. After much detective work, I’ve discovered that the main problem the whole time was installing WordPress into a directory instead of on the root. The plugin doesn’t do a very good job of seeing that and making any changes.
The first thing I had to do was a little PHP editing. If your not comfortable doing this, well, you might want to consider finding a different way to send your feeds. Basically, you have to edit the plugin file and .htaccess so it’s not for the technically uninclined.
so… open up the .php file for the plugin and find the following: get_settings(‘home’)
This should be: get_settings(â€™siteurlâ€™)
Make the change and save and reupload. You shouldn’t have to reactivate the plugin as all wordpress does is load the file each time you go to use the plugin.
After making those changes, I reran the plugin and made the necessary changes to .htaccess that it tells you to. It does recreate the entire file including the permalink structure and anything else you had in there to begin with, so just copy and paste it all in, replacing the existing code.
Problem #2 took me a while to nail down as it still wasn’t working with feedburner. Essentially, the plugin gives you a new URI to have feedburner check for the feeds. It did not exist after I had gotten this far. I checked the Codex and the plugin homepage but found only people with the same problem, and no answers.
Obviously I figured it out and here’s what the issue was.
The URI that the plugin gave me was something like: http://www.mysite.com/wp-folder/feedburner-0934353
The problem again was the fact that I did not have WordPress installed into the root. I edited the URI to read http://www.mysite.com/feedburner-0934353 and it works fine.
So, why did I have to do that? Well, the plugin gives the URI with the WordPress directory in it, however it does not include the WordPress directory in the .htaccess file it creates.
In the .htaccess file it is merely /feedburner-0934353/ so the solution is to delete the WordPress directory from the URI that it gives you.
Note that it may be possible to prefix the /feedburner-0934353/ with your WordPress directory so that it looks like this: /wp-folder/feedburner-0934353/ but I have not tested that solution, so try at your own risk. If you do it that way and it works, please let me know.
NOTE: The URI’s are examples and are not the exact URI’s to be used. The URI’s for your site will be completely different.
Check the WordPress Codex for further info.