- Question 1: In your about page you state that you started your 45n5 site in October
of 2005 and made over $1000 in the month of December 2006. Care to share
what an average month clears you now?
When it was hobby money it was fun chronicling the adventures. I keep
my earnings to myself now 😉
- Question 2: Are there any specific experiences related to the rocket-like success of
your Top 100 list that you’d care to share?
Create something cool and let people know about it. Promotion was the
key to the top 100’s success.
- Question 3: You recently pushed out your ad network, ShowYourAdHere.com, which is quite the undertaking. What growing pains have you had to overcome that you
didn’t expect? Also, originally the network was to be named nofollowads.com.
Why the name change?
The name change came because I thought ShowYourAdHere was more viral and not tied to an initiative by the search engines.
The biggest growing pain was actually doing the initial programming.
I worked on it two weeks straight night and day to get it started.
Another hurdle was figuring out how to do a hosting setup that
wouldn’t lock up websites if the host went down. I’m now using DNS
failover and 2 hosts. They aren’t completely redundant, however they
won’t return a dead page now should one host go down.
- Question 4: You recently made the decision to try and post a video post every day.
What helped you make the decision to go video? And was it worth it?
I have missed one day already which I’ll make up soon 😉 I enjoy
video so I wanted to do more of it.
I wish more blogs would do video. I want to create the type of blog
at 45n5.com that I would want to follow, therefore it for sure needs a
bunch of original video.
- Question 5: Do you feel that your location in Kentucky, and more specifically your
distance from the heart of silicon valley, has any negative effects on your
It has some good points. It’s dirt cheap living. I can still
communicate with the same people around the world. It’s central to
most of North America.
Business wise it’s a good bet living in Kentucky. Personally Kentucky
is way too conservative for me.
My thanks go out to Mark for participating in the interview and for giving some really great answers. You can go see the Make Money Online top 100 at 45n5.com or check out the best revenue share ad network at showyouradhere.com